Saturday, May 21, 2011
I saw this skirt over at no big dill, and I fell in love with it. I had never tried sewing with bias strips (other than binding a quilt), so I was excited to give it a try. My daughter needed a white dress for pre-school (she is going to be the white rabbit for their Alice in Wonderland play), so I just grabbed some muslin and went to town. Since muslin is so affordable, I was not too worried about messing up (this dress probably cost me $3 to make). I made sure to pre-wash all my fabric, because I know muslin shrinks a lot. I simply traced the outline of another dress she had, adding half an inch for seam allowance. then I followed the same procedure on no big deal to cut and sew on the bias strips.
The pictures are taken after I washed and ironed the dress, so you can see that there really is hardly any fraying when you cut on the bias.
I felt like it needed a little something extra, so I cut a bunch of cirlces out of satin and tulle and I singed the edges with a match. Then I layered them with hot glue, and put a blob of hot glue in the middle. I have a few bracelets that have broken, so I grabbed some of those pearls and stuck them in the blob of glue. I just hot glued a few pins on back, so I can pin it on the dress anywhere I want, and take them off when I wash it. I really like how they turned out
I was not worried about the back having clean lines, I was going for a messy look with the dress. I just wanted to make sure that all the ends were not all lined up.